The Biology department at Calithera Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated individual who will be involved in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments to identify novel drug targets and support early drug discovery efforts. Duties will include performing cell-based assays for target validation, biochemical and cellular characterization of lead compounds, mechanism of action studies and mammalian cell culture. This position requires knowledge of tumor biology, tumor immunology, or a related field.
Calithera Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company pioneering the discovery and development of targeted therapies that disrupt cellular metabolic pathways to preferentially starve tumor cells and enhance immune-cell activity. Driven by a commitment to rigorous science and a passion for improving the lives of people impacted by cancer and other life-threatening diseases, Calithera is advancing a pipeline of first-in-clinic, oral therapeutics to meaningfully expand treatment options available to patients. Calithera is headquartered in South San Francisco, California.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply genetic methods (RNAi/CRISPR) to identify novel drug targets in human cancer cells.
- Assist in compound screening efforts, lead optimization, and detailed biochemical and cellular characterization of hits/leads.
- Develop and implement cell-based assays to measure on-target activity of lead compounds.
- Culture human and mouse cancer cell lines and provide tissue culture support for animal studies.
- Analyze, interpret and effectively communicate results and data.
- Maintain well written and accurate research notebooks detailing work undertaken.
- Effectively communicate ongoing work to supervisor and biology group members.
Qualification and Requirements
- B.S. or M.S. in Biology or related field with 5-10 years of experience in a tumor biology, tumor immunology or related environment.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with designing, executing, and analyzing cell-based mechanism of action experiments is required.
- Proficiency in quantitative plate-based biochemical and cellular assays for drug discovery efforts (e.g. protein assay, ELISA, Cell Titer Glo, etc) is required.
- Proficiency in applying genetic methods to interrogate protein function (siRNA, shRNA, or CRISPR) is required.
Calithera Biosciences, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Interested candidates should submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org